Owens Valley (detention facility)
|US Gov Name||Owens Valley Reception Center|
|Facility Type||Temporary Assembly Center|
|Administrative Agency||Wartime Civil Control Administration|
|Location||Manzanar, California (36.7333 lat, -118.0667 lng)|
|Date Opened||March 21, 1942|
|Date Closed||June 2, 1942|
|Population Description||More than 90 percent were from the Los Angeles area; others were from Stockton, California, and Bainbridge Island, Washington.|
|General Description||Located on the site that later became the WRA-run concentration camp Manzanar.|
|National Park Service Info|
The Owens Valley Reception Center was one of two such facilities that augmented the fifteen " assembly centers " operated by the Wartime Civil Control Administration . In operation from March 21, 1942, Owens Valley was taken over by the War Relocation Authority on June 1, 1942 and became the so called " Manzanar Relocation Center." Unlike inmates taken to one of the assembly centers, inmates initially sent to Owens Valley did not have to move again to a more permanent War Relocation Authority camp.
Last updated July 15, 2015, 1:06 a.m..